Skip to primary navigation.
Skip to secondary navigation.
Skip to page content.

Return to top of page.
Skip to secondary navigation.
Skip to page content.
Return to top of page.
Return to primary navigation.
Skip to secondary navigation.

Admissions and student information


Admission requirements

Prospective students

Prospective students

To be considered for admission into the School of Health Information Science, students must meet the admission requirements for the University of Victoria. Possession of the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to any faculty, program or course at the university. If the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number that can be accommodated, the admission cut-offs will be higher than the minimum published requirements.

Are you a current high school student?

The application deadline for all current high school students (domestic and international) applying for September entry is February 28th.  Application requirements can be found here.


Are you a transfer student?

Applicants transferring from other faculties or post-secondary institutions should carefully review the admission requirements for the School of Health Information Science. The application deadline is March 31 for entry into the School of Health Information Science in the following September and October 31 for entry in the following January.


**Note: Students who are already enrolled at the University of Victoria must complete a re-registration form and submit it to Record Services to apply for admission to School of Health Information Science.

Admission requirements

Admission requirements
  1. BC and Yukon Secondary School Graduates
    1. graduation from a secondary school as prescribed by the Ministry of Education of the Province of British Columbia; and
    2. successful completion of English 12, Foundations of Mathematics 12 or Pre-calculus 12* and two approved academic 12 courses . *Pre-calculus 12 is required for students planning to enter the Combined Major Program in Computer Science and Health Information Science.
    3. obtain an average of at least 75% for the BS and 80% for the Combined Major on the four subjects in (b)

**Note - The current BC high school students must provide permission to release information to post secondary institutions so that your grades will be sent directly by your school to the Ministry of Education to forward to the University of Victoria.

  1. Transfer Students
    Transfer applicants to Health Information Science (either from other faculties at UVic or other institutions) must:
    1. meet the admission requirements for secondary school graduates and have completed fewer than 12 units of university-level courses with a GPA of at least 4.0 OR
    2. have completed 12 units of university –level courses with a GPA of at least 4.0 and meet the minimum secondary school math requirement or equivalent. Credit for previous post-secondary studies may be granted as appropriate.

Students who do not maintain a GPA of 4.0 in an academic term will be placed on probation and not be allowed to take part in the co-op work term process. When placed on probation they will be given a set of conditions to meet to be taken off probation. If they do not meet the conditions in the stipulated time they will be removed from the School. A student may be on probation only twice or they will be permanently removed from the School and will have to reapply.

Students who have failed a work term or do not meet the conditions of their probation will normally be required to withdraw from the School for at least one calendar year. Students required to withdraw will be considered for readmission only after achieving a GPA of 4.0 or higher on a minimum 4 courses in one academic term. The School of Health Information Science is under no obligation to readmit students who have been required to withdraw.

Program requirements

To meet the requirements of the degree in Health Information Science, students must complete 60 units which include a core of 43.5 units, a minimum of 7.5 units selected from the senior elective courses, 9 units of other electives, and a minimum of three Co-op Work Terms. Work term placements are across Canada and students must be prepared to accept placement outside of Victoria.

Eligibility for co-op work terms

To be eligible to take part in the co-op work term process, a student must meet all of the conditions below:

  • must have completed all courses listed in the first four terms of the model program
  • must have a GPA of 4.0 or better
  • must be a student in good standing (not on probation)
  • must currently be enrolled in a minimum of four (4) courses
  • must not have any deferred exams outstanding

Any deviation from the above will require written permission from the Director of the School. Prior to going on their first work term a student must provide a completed student checklist for co-op eligibility form to the School’s co-op office.

If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to us



Back-to- back work terms

Back-to-back work terms

Students contemplating a request for a back-to-back work term or an extended work term must submit a modified program plan to the student adviser before they request a work term variance.

The intention of the co-op program is to complement what students learn in the classroom environment with practical, experiential learning in the professional workplace by alternating work terms with academic terms after completion of the first and second year coursework.

One (1) back-to-back work term or one (1) extended 8-month work term will be allowed only once in a student’s program and only if exceptional circumstances warrant it. Students requesting either a back-to-back work term or an extended work term must make their request in writing to the Director of the School and must include a completed Work Term Variance Request form. This request must be completed and approved by both the Director of the School and the Co-op Coordinator in advance. Any request submitted after the completion of the first 4 months of a work term will not be considered. Students must be aware that the shift in program caused by an extended or back-to-back work term does not justify the use of a directed study in lieu of a core course.

Senior elective courses

Senior elective courses

Students who have credit for an approved senior elective from a previous degree at the University of Victoria will be allowed to use that course towards the senior elective requirement on their CAPP. No time limitations will be imposed.

Student who wish to take courses as senior electives that are not on the approved list require written permission from the Director of the School. Senior electives are senior courses intended to take the place of core courses the School does not have the resources to offer.

Courses taken at other institutions are not normally acceptable as senior electives. In rare instances a student with a previous degree may have the requirement to take 1.5 units of senior electives waived. Before the request will be considered the student must:

  • Provide proof the course was taken within the last 5 years and provide proof of the grade received.
  • Provide a course outline from the year the course was taken.
  • Provide a statement explaining how the course is applicable to a degree in Health Information Science.

As in the past, any request to take a 300 or 400 level course not listed in the calendar as a senior elective will be reviewed provided a student provides a rationale of how the course is applicable both to the HINF curriculum and a career in health informatics. Approval must be received prior to registering for the course.

Co-op eligiblity

Co-op eligiblity

As indicated on the model program, normally completion of all courses listed in the first 4 terms will be required prior to undertaking the first work term. Currently, students who have courses “in progress” are approved for co-op on the assumption they will successfully complete the course.

Effective immediately, students will be responsible for submitting proof of their final mark for these courses at the end of term. Students will not be eligible for their second work term until the first and second year core courses have been confirmed as having been successfully completed.

English requirement

English requirement

As indicated in the model program, 3.0 units of 100 level English are required for the BSc in Health Information Science.

Meanwhile, 1.5 units of English and ENGR 240 are required for the Combined Major in Computer Science and Health Information Science. Although many of the courses overlap, this new program was designed to appeal to those students who wish to follow a more technical career path.

Recognizing the value of the Technical Writing course for all students, any student who has credit for ENGR 240 will be deemed to have completed 1.5 units of the 3.0 units of English required for the Health Information Science BSc program.

Guidelines for review of assigned grades

Guidelines for review of assigned grades
  1. Any student wishing clarification about, or who is dissatisfied with an assigned grade, either for a whole course or a portion of it, shall first discuss the matter with the instructor, who will review the work in question. This discussion normally should take place within 14 days of the grades being available for the portion of the course that is in question. If the instructor agrees to change a grade before the final course grades have been submitted, no further action is required. If, however, the course grades have been submitted, a change of grade request should be made through the Director to Records Services in the normal way.

  2. If the review by the instructor confirms the original grade, and if the student is still dissatisfied, then the student can appeal to the Director of the School in writing, stating clearly the grounds on which the student believes the grade should be raised. If the Director believes the grounds to be reasonable, then the Director shall initiate a review of the grade using the procedures below. If the Director does not agree to a review of the grade, then the student has the right to formally request a review of grade through Records Services, as set out in the Calendar.

    1. The student requesting the grade review shall sign a consent form indicating that the student understands that the grade may be raised, lowered or remain the same. Alternatively, the Director may write a letter back to the student indicating that the grade assigned by a second instructor will be the final grade and that the grade may be raised, lowered or remain the same.

    2. The Director will appoint a second instructor (preferably an experienced faculty member who has recently taught the course or one closely related to it) to review the grade assigned. If the instructor of the course for which the grade is questioned is the Director, then a senior member of the unit will be appointed to handle the appeal.

    3. The original instructor shall provide:

      1. a course outline.
      2. a description of the assignment(s) in question, if not included in the course outline.
      3. an explicit statement on how the grade was determined and what assessment techniques were used.
      4. scoring keys or a marking guide or explicit criteria for evaluating the components of the grade.
      5. the distribution of the marks and of the grades for the course (or component in question).
      6. if possible, a representative sample of graded papers from the course.
    4. The reviewer should read clean, unmarked copies of all the written work submitted for the grade in question. Examination copies may have to be obtained from Records Services, and identifying information removed. Students do not have the option to rewrite, edit or in any other way change their papers prior to the review process. If there is any question regarding the version of a paper submitted for review, the student will be asked to submit the original paper.

    5. The reviewer shall be provided with the items detailed in 3.3 and 3.4. The reviewer is expected to come to a final mark without consultation with the original marker.

    6. Where possible, the reviewer and the student should not be identified (i.e., name, student number) to minimize risk of bias. The reviewer shall then submit to the Director (or the person appointed to handle the appeal in 3.2 above) an independent evaluation of the grade.

  3. If the evaluation is different from that of the initial instructor, then the Director may consult (if necessary) with both instructors and/or seek further opinion before deciding the final grade to be awarded. This revised grade shall be recorded as the official grade regardless of whether it is lower, the same or higher than the original grade.

(These guidelines supersede other guidelines within the Schools.)

Permission to take course

Permission to take course

All requests to take special courses, add or drop courses are to be initialed by the Director. Any students requesting special permission to take a course, add or drop a course are to be referred to the School Secretary. She will coordinate with the instructor involved and the Director to ensure the student has permission, then will forward the form to the appropriate individual to have it entered into the system. For non-HINF students, that means the Dean of their faculty.

Note also, it is now policy that HINF students must complete HINF 130 and 140 prior to taking 300 or 400 level HINF courses.

While on co-op

Students registered for work terms are considered to be enrolled in a full time course of studies and may not take university level credit courses without the prior written approval of the Director. Approval must be sought before or within 1 week of registration for the course. A letter from the prospective employer must accompany the request. No student will be given permission to take more than one course while on a work term. No student on probation will be given permission to take a course while on a work term. Normally, permission will not be given to students with a GPA less than 5.0 in the academic term immediately prior to the work term during which the student is applying for permission to take a course.

Prerequisite Requirements

Any student wishing to take a HINF 300 or 400 level course, who does not have the prerequisites for the course, must obtain written permission from both the instructor and the Director of the School.

Senior course registration

Senior course registration

Students from other schools or departments may take 300 and 400 level HINF courses as electives with the permission of the director and their respective director or Chair. If enrollment restrictions are necessary, preference will be given to students registered in the Faculty of Human and Social Development.

Students who have been denied permission to enter the School of Health Information Science may not register in any HINF 300 or 400 level courses.

Email list servs

All HINF undergraduate students are expected to subscribe to the student list serv "hinfinfo". See to subscribe.

Return to top of page.
Return to primary navigation.
Skip to page content.
Return to top of page.
Return to primary navigation.
Return to secondary navigation.
Return to page content.