McPherson Library (LIB)
The McPherson Library contains UVic's library holdings. Also located in the McPherson Library building are the university archives, special collections and map library.
The McPherson Library was originally constructed in 1964 as a four-storey building, with a major addition in 1974. The original building was used solely as the university library and later additions accommodated audio-visual services and provided temporary space for various academic and administrative units.
Thomas Shanks McPherson (1873 - 1962) was the university's first major benefactor. He came to Canada in 1882 and began acquiring major real estate holdings in Victoria, including a 50 percent share in the Central Building and ownership of the Pantages Theatre (now McPherson Theatre). When he died in 1962, he left $2,250,000 and his share in the Central Building to the University.
- UVic Libraries Gateway - Web | Directory
- University Archives - Web | Directory
- Special Collections - Web | Directory
- Map library - Web | Directory