The University of Victoria (UVic) is located in Victoria, British Columbia. Victoria is situated on the southern tip of Vancouver Island.
There is no fixed connection (bridge or roadway) connecting Vancouver Island to mainland BC. Here are three ways you can travel to the island:
- Ferry/driving: Take the Swartz Bay ferry from Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal (1-hour-and-35-minute sailing time). You will exit the ferry terminal on the Patricia Bay Highway (17 South). After 29 km take Exit 7, McKenzie Avenue. Turn left onto McKenzie Ave. After about 8 km turn right onto McGill Road, the main entrance to UVic. The drive takes about 30 minutes.
- Driving: Victoria International Airport is located off of the Patricia Bay Highway (Highway 17), a 30- to 40-minute drive north of UVic. When driving from the airport, follow the signs to Victoria or City Centre. These will lead you onto Highway 17. Once on Highway 17, drive 29 km and take Exit 7, McKenzie Avenue. Turn left onto McKenzie Avenue. After about 8 km, turn right onto McGill Road, the main entrance to UVic. The drive takes about 30 minutes.
- The YYJ Airport Shuttle offers service from the airport to many locations in Victoria. Buses leave every half hour between 4 a.m. and midnight, 7 days a week.
- From Nanaimo, take Highway 1 south towards Victoria. Drive 107 km. Once you reach the McKenzie Avenue and Admiral Road intersection (Exit 6), turn left. Follow McKenzie Avenue east for 8 km until you reach Gordon Head Road. Continue past this intersection and take the immediate right onto McGill Road. The drive takes about 1 hour and 35 minutes.
- From Sooke, take Highway 14 east towards Victoria. In Colwood, turn onto Highway 1 south to Victoria. Once you reach the McKenzie Avenue and Admiral Road intersection (Exit 6), turn left. Follow McKenzie Avenue east for about 8 km until you reach Gordon Head Road. Continue past this intersection and take the immediate right onto McGill Road. The drive takes about 50 minutes.
- The Blackball Ferry or the Clipper will dock in Victoria’s Inner Harbour. To drive from downtown Victoria to UVic, follow Belleville Street east to Blanshard Street. Turn north on to Blanshard and follow it for about 10 km. Then, turn right onto the McKenzie Avenue and drive east for about 11 km until you reach Gordon Head Road. Continue past this intersection and take the immediate right onto McGill Road. The trip takes about 3 and a half hours.
- From the Anacordes Ferry you dock in Sidney. From there follow the signs to Victoria on the Patricia Bay Highway (Highway 17). After 29 km take the McKenzie Avenue exit (Exit 7). Turn left onto McKenzie Ave. After about 8 km turn right onto McGill Road, the main UVic entrance just in front of Centennial Stadium. The trip takes about 5 hours.
Emergency phone locations
"Direct Dial to Campus Security" public phones are located across campus. They are identified by a red and white Security sign and a corresponding number.
Emergency evacuation maps
Classroom A/V equipment information
Residence information and location map
Dining locations and map
Theatre location maps
Library location and floor maps
Gender-neutral and accessible washrooms
In addition to a large multi-stall, gender-neutral washroom in the Student Union Building (SUB), there are many single-stall washrooms on campus.
Smoking locations map
UVic is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for students, employees and visitors. Beginning September 1, 2011, smoking is only permitted in designated areas outside Ring Road. Look for the marked benches and new cigarette receptacles in convenient and accessible locations within a three-minute walk of any campus building.
Compost bin map
Local transit maps (BC Transit)
BC Transit provides bus service to the Gordon Head campus
Cycling to UVic route map and resources
Jogging route map
Construction on the Continuing Studies Building addition project is underway. The project will provide expanded space for the English Language Centre's Pathways Program for international students, as well as other programs. The project design will complement the existing building while increasing its size by approximately 50 per cent. For more information, visit the Campus Planning Current Projects website.
Recently completed buildings
UVic Campus Plan
Questions? Contact Facilities Management at 250-721-7616.