IMPORTANT: Applications are now closed for this year's daytime and evening MBA Programs. We will begin accepting applications for next year's programs on October 15, 2014.
Ready to start your application? Remember, the UVic MBA Program starts in early August. The University considers this part of the "Summer Session". So, when you come to the "Program of Study" page in the application process and you are asked to choose the "Available terms", select the "Summer Session: May-Aug". Apply here.
After you have applied, you can check the status of your application at My UVic Application.
We assess applications as we receive them and will contact qualified applicants to arrange for a telephone or Skype interview as the final stage of the admissions process.
The UVic MBA Programs look for motivated and experienced achievers. We assess applicants based on the following criteria:
- You have completed the equivalent of a Canadian Bachelor's degree (generally in a non-business discipline) from an academic institution recognized by the University of Victoria.
- You have earned the equivalent of a “B” average over the last two years (or equivalent of 30 UVic units) of your degree.
- If you do not have a “B” average, you may be admitted as a mature student, provided you have four years of relevant professional experience after completing your undergraduate degree. Submission of a detailed résumé is required to determine eligibility as a mature student. Such recommendations must be approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- International students must meet the Minimum requirements from other countries as set out by the Faculty of Graduate Studies
For information on how GPA is calculated, please visit the UVic Graduate Admissions page.
While our minimum GMAT requirement is 550, scores over 600 are preferred. To calculate your equivalent GRE score, you can use the GRE Comparison Table for Business Schools.
Three or more years of full-time work experience in a professional or management capacity is preferred. You must demonstrate managerial potential and a level of maturity consistent with the demands of a professional management program. These characteristics are assessed based on your résumé, references and personal statements:
Your résumé should outline your professional experience and other experiences that may be of interest to the committee. Please include the start and end dates, by month and year, for all your experiences and indicate whether they were full-time or part-time. This will ensure the committee can accurately determine your cumulative professional experience.
Assessment Reports are required from a minimum of two academic or professional referees who are familiar with your work. Your referees should be individuals who can provide a candid assessment of your abilities; professional or academic referees are acceptable. The names and email addresses of your referees are required when you fill out your on-line application. It is important that you contact your referees before providing their name in the on-line application, in order to confirm their willingness to provide you with an assessment. A letter of reference may also be supplied in addition to the Assessment Report. Please note that additional paper/hard-copy assessment documents are not required.
For more information on how to submit your Assessment Reports, please visit the UVic Graduate Admissions page and scroll down to the ‘Assessment Reports’ section.
Personal Statements - You must prepare two personal statements (approximately 500 - 700 words each) on the following topics:
- Describe what makes you an effective leader and tell us about the leadership roles you have taken. Address your style as a leader, including your accomplishments and successes as well as your challenges and areas for learning and growth.
- Tell us about your career goals beyond the MBA and how the UVic MBA, in particular, will help you achieve them. Connect these goals to what you have already accomplished in your life and what impact you hope to make in the future.
If your first language is not English, and you have lived in Canada or another English-speaking country for less than three years, you must provide evidence of fluency in English. The following minimum test scores are accepted:
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
A TOEFL score of 575 on the paper-based test or an overall score of 90 on the Internet Based TOEFL (IBT), with the following minimum section requirements: Listening 20; Speaking 20; Reading 20; Writing 20. The TOEFL code for the University of Victoria MBA is 0989
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
An minimum overall Band Score of 6.5, with no score less than 6.0 on each individual component on the Academic IELTS is required.
MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery)
Finally, applicants can also submit a minimum score of 90 on the MELAB.
For more information on language proficiency requirement, visit here.
International student support, visit here.
The application deadline for international applicants is April 30, 2014. We will not consider applications from international students after this point. We will continue to review applications from domestic students (including permanent residents) until May 31, 2014.
Our online application system for the August 2015 MBA Program will be open in the late fall of 2014. Visit our website regularly for the latest update.
We recommend that international students submit their application as early as possible to allow sufficient time to obtain a Government of Canada Study Permit (and Temporary Resident Visa if necessary) if they are selected.