Why choose UVic for your graduate studies?
Thinking at a higher level
On any given day, open our doors—to UVic classrooms, research centres, performance studios—and be prepared for excellence on the other side.
Graduate education at UVic offers a rare chance to create and mobilize new knowledge and to work side-by-side with scholars and practitioners on initiatives that may be unique in the world. Deepen your undergraduate research and learning, further your academic path or take your studies in an entirely new direction.
Graduate school can expand your professional qualifications, provide an avenue to more rewarding career options and bolster your earning power. Research and innovation demand the kinds of expertise that can only be gained from an advanced education.
Discover the reasons UVic may be a fit for you.
- Groundbreaking research.
When it comes to real-life learning and original research, UVic leads the world in areas such as oceans and climate, society and health, global change and sustainability and Indigenous and cultural studies. And we don’t stop there.
- Flexible programs.
Diverse graduate programs include flexible options and opportunities to learn from faculty and researchers who are experts in their fields.
- Thoughtful innovation.
Ours is a culture of achievement and consideration for the world around us.
- Contribution and community.
Motivated by a desire to drive change, our graduate students influence international conversations while taking advantage of a personalized campus experience.
- Liveable city, liveable campus.
Our spectacular West Coast setting inspires discovery not possible anywhere else.
For an introduction to the university and campus life, explore UVic.
UVic in the rankings
UVic advanced to sixth place in Canada and 130th in the world in the influential 2010 Times Higher Education’s annual World University Rankings. UVic was the top-ranked university in the country without a medical school.
See our media release.
- UVic is consistently named a “Research University of the Year” in a ranking of the nation’s elite research destinations by Re$earch Infosource. In the 2010 survey, UVic was the highest ranked school of its class outside Ontario. We also topped comparable Canadian universities over the last decade in two of three measures of research performance: growth in research income and growth in research intensity.
See our media release.
- See more UVic rankings highlights.
Facts and figures
Our vision is to be the university of choice for exceptional students, faculty and staff who are driven by a desire to improve their world. Learn about the University of Victoria's programs, research, honours and awards in facts and figures about UVic.
The success rate for UVic graduate students in attracting research funding is consistently well above the national average. Learn more about our research including research facts and figures, including income, rankings and statistics.
Student handbooks provide pathways to information for specific graduate student audiences. Current publications highlight UVic graduate studies admissions, the Individual Interdisciplinary Program and Indigenous student resources. The International Student Pre-Arrival Guide touches on information for graduate and undergraduate students.
In addition, find out if your academic unit offers a graduate handbook that highlights the information most relevant to you.
Admission Preview Handbook
Our Graduate Admission Preview Handbook provides an introduction to graduate studies at UVic. Created with prospective graduate students in mind, this publication features student profiles, financial information, campus supports for grads and the primary steps in the application process.
Individual Interdisciplinary Program Handbook
The Individual Interdisciplinary Program Handbook describes a unique program offering graduate students the opportunity to work across domains of knowledge. Those interested should review our specialized degree applicant information carefully, since application processes differ from those of other programs.
Indigenous Student Handbook
The Indigenous Student Handbook provides an overview of programs and services that may be of particular interest to Indigenous students and features both faculty and student profiles.
International Student Pre-Arrival Guide
Our International Student Pre-Arrival Guide includes information for graduate and undergraduate students about everything from immigration to health insurance, as well as the basics regarding course registration, finances and accommodation.
- Anthropology- Master's
- Anthropology- PhD
- Biochemistry and Microbiology- Master's
- Biochemistry and Microbiology- PhD
- Biology- Master's
- Biology- PhD
- Business Administration- Master's
- Business Administration and Laws- Master's
- Global Business- Master's
- Business Administration- PhD
- Chemistry- Master's
- Chemistry- PhD
- Child and Youth Care- Master's
- Child and Youth Care- PhD
- Community Development- Master's
- Computer Science- Master's
- Computer Science- PhD
- Counselling- Master's
- Cultural, Social and Political Thought Program- Master's
- Cultural, Social and Political Thought Program- PhD
- Cultural Heritage Studies- Cert
- Cultural Heritage Management- Dipl
- Cultural Sector Leadership- Cert
- Curriculum & Instruction- Master's
- Curriculum & Instruction- Master's
- Curriculum & Instruction- PhD
- Dispute Resolution- Master's
- Double degrees- Master's
- Double and joint degrees with other institutions- Master's
- Earth and Ocean Sciences- Master's
- Earth and Ocean Sciences- PhD
- Economics- Master's
- Economics- PhD
- Educational Psychology- Master's
- Educational Psychology- PhD
- Electrical and Computer Engineering- Master's
- Electrical and Computer Engineering- PhD
- English- Master's
- English- PhD
- Entrepreneurship - Cert
- Entrepreneurship- Dipl
- Environmental Studies- Master's
- Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education- Master's
- Evaluation- Cert
- Evaluation- Dipl
- Kinesiology- Master's
- Kinesiology- PhD
- French- Master's
- Geography- Master's
- Geography- PhD
- Germanic and Slavic Studies- Master's
- Greek and Roman Studies- Master's
- Health Information Science- Master's
- Hispanic and Italian Studies- Master's
- History in Art- Master's
- History in Art- PhD
- History- Master's
- History- PhD
- Indigenous Governance- Master's
- Interdisciplinary program (INTD)- Master's PhD
- Jointly-supervised individual programs- PhD
- Law- Master's
- Law- PhD
- Leadership Studies- Master's
- Leadership Studies- Master's
- Learning and Teaching in Higher Education- Cert
- Library Sector Leadership- Cert
- Linguistics- Master's
- Linguistics- PhD
- Mathematics and Statistics- Master's
- Mathematics and Statistics- PhD
- Mechanical Engineering- Master's
- Mechanical Engineering- PhD
- Music- Master's
- Music- PhD
- Neuroscience- Master's
- Neuroscience- PhD
- Nursing- Master's
- Nursing- PhD
- Pacific and Asian Studies- Master's
- Philosophy- Master's
- Physics and Astronomy- Master's
- Physics and Astronomy- PhD
- Political Science- Master's
- Political Science- PhD
- Psychology- Master's
- Psychology- PhD
- Public Administration- Cert Dipl
- Public Administration- Master's
- Public Administration- PhD
- Public Health- Dipl
- Public Health and Social Policy- Master's
- Social Dimensions of Health- Master's
- Social Dimensions of Health- PhD
- Social Work- Master's
- Sociology- Master's
- Sociology- PhD
- Graduate programs by special arrangement (SPARR)- Master's PhD
- Studies in Policy and Practice
- Theatre- Master's
- Visual Arts- Master's
- Writing- Master's
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Department of Biology
- School of Business
- Department of Chemistry
- School of Child and Youth Care
- School of Public Administration
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Educational Psychology and Leadership Studies
- Department of English
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Curriculum and Instruction
- School of Earth and Ocean Sciences
- Department of Economics
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- School of Environmental Studies
- Department of Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education
- Department of French
- Department of Geography
- Department of Germanic and Slavic Studies
- Department of Greek and Roman Studies
- School of Health Information Science
- Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies
- Department of History in Art
- Indigenous Governance Program
- Faculty of Law
- Department of Linguistics
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Music
- Division of Medical Sciences
- School of Nursing
- Department of Pacific and Asian Studies
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Department of Psychology
- School of Public Health and Social Policy
- Social Dimensions of Health Program
- School of Social Work
- Studies in Policy and Practice Program
- Department of Theatre
- Department of Visual Arts
- Department of Writing