Tuition and fees
We want your academic work to challenge you, not your finances. Fortunately, graduate students at UVic benefit from modest tuition fees and a range of funding supports. These pages are designed to highlight some of the costs associated with graduate studies at UVic and to streamline your financial planning.
- Current tuition and fees schedule
- Tuition and fees overview
- Graduate student tuition income offset plan and form
Your application for admission cannot be processed until your application fee is received. You will be prompted to pay this fee by credit card as part of the online application process. Cash will not be accepted.
Application fees for graduate students:
- $110 CAD - all transcripts arriving from institutions within Canada
- $135 CAD - any transcripts arriving from institutions outside of Canada
These fees are non-refundable and will not be counted toward your tuition.
Some academic units may require payment of an acceptance deposit. This deposit is non-refundable, but will be credited to your first term fees upon registration. Please contact the graduate secretary for your program to see if this applies to you.
About graduate tuition at UVic
For degree students at the graduate level, tuition is assessed as a total degree program fee, not as a per course fee. Payment of the fee is broken down into “fee installments.” You will be charged an installment for every term you are registered in a degree program. Fees are assessed in September, January and May.
Please note that minimum fee installments apply, regardless of your degree level or program timeline. For full details, consult the fees regulations.
- For current fees, see the tuition and fees schedule. You will be assessed domestic fees if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. International fees will be assessed if you are studying on a student visa.
- In addition to tuition, you are required to pay other (ancillary) fees as part of student life at UVic and must arrange for appropriate medical insurance.
- If you are studying at UVic as a non-degree student, you will pay for individual courses on a per-unit basis.
- Students enrolled in the graduate co-op program will pay a work term fee in addition to program and other student fees.
- Students who remain registered after exceeding the time limit for their degree (normally five years for a master's degree and seven years for a doctoral degree) will be assessed a program extension fee at the regular tuition rate per term.
Graduate Student Tuition Income Offset Plan
You have the option of participating in a Tuition Income Offset Plan to assist you in aligning the payment of your tuition with your award and/or employment income. The plan allows you to pay tuition in four instalments over each four-month term and have the payments taken automatically from your bank account.
Full details, deadlines and the authorization form are available from Accounting Services.
As part of student life at UVic, all students are required to pay some universal (ancillary) fees in addition to their tuition. A list of ancillary fees is published in the graduate academic calendar.
See the Graduate Students’ Society for information on opting out of the extended health or dental plans.
Consult the Graduate Students’ Society for the very limited conditions for opting out of the U-Pass bus pass plan.
All students are required to have appropriate health insurance for the duration of their studies in Canada. The Graduate Students’ Society (GSS) provides a mandatory extended health plan and dental insurance plan (in addition to regular MSP coverage) for full-time graduate students. See the Graduate Students’ Society for information on health plan and dental coverage.
Aon Reed Stenhouse Inc. (Aon) is UVic’s approved emergency medical insurance provider for the waiting period. You can enrol for these services online. The extended health insurance included in your student fees is not a substitute for emergency health insurance or BC MSP.
International students: for more information on medical insurance requirements for international students, visit the International and Exchange Student Services website.
BC residents (including international students): you must be covered by BC Medical Services Plan (MSP). There is a waiting period for new applicants, so you should arrange for emergency health insurance from an alternate provider before you arrive in BC.
Residents of another Canadian province: you may choose to stay with your home province medical plan. Please contact your provincial medical plan office for details: contact information is listed on the GSS website.
In addition to program and ancillary fees, financial considerations such as where and how you will live while you study and additional expenses including transportation, technology, travel, books and food all have to be factored in.
To give you some idea of what to expect, these resources offer a starting place:
- Anthropology- Master's
- Anthropology- PhD
- Biochemistry and Microbiology- Master's
- Biochemistry and Microbiology- PhD
- Biology- Master's
- Biology- PhD
- Business Administration- Master's
- Business Administration and Laws- Master's
- Global Business- Master's
- Business Administration- PhD
- Chemistry- Master's
- Chemistry- PhD
- Child and Youth Care- Master's
- Child and Youth Care- PhD
- Community Development- Master's
- Computer Science- Master's
- Computer Science- PhD
- Counselling- Master's
- Cultural, Social and Political Thought Program- Master's
- Cultural, Social and Political Thought Program- PhD
- Cultural Heritage Studies- Cert
- Cultural Heritage Management- Dipl
- Cultural Sector Leadership- Cert
- Curriculum & Instruction- Master's
- Curriculum & Instruction- Master's
- Curriculum & Instruction- PhD
- Dispute Resolution- Master's
- Double degrees- Master's
- Double and joint degrees with other institutions- Master's
- Earth and Ocean Sciences- Master's
- Earth and Ocean Sciences- PhD
- Economics- Master's
- Economics- PhD
- Educational Psychology- Master's
- Educational Psychology- PhD
- Electrical and Computer Engineering- Master's
- Electrical and Computer Engineering- PhD
- English- Master's
- English- PhD
- Entrepreneurship - Cert
- Entrepreneurship- Dipl
- Environmental Studies- Master's
- Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education- Master's
- Evaluation- Cert
- Evaluation- Dipl
- Kinesiology- Master's
- Kinesiology- PhD
- French- Master's
- Geography- Master's
- Geography- PhD
- Germanic and Slavic Studies- Master's
- Greek and Roman Studies- Master's
- Health Information Science- Master's
- Hispanic and Italian Studies- Master's
- History in Art- Master's
- History in Art- PhD
- History- Master's
- History- PhD
- Indigenous Governance- Master's
- Interdisciplinary program (INTD)- Master's PhD
- Jointly-supervised individual programs- PhD
- Law- Master's
- Law- PhD
- Leadership Studies- Master's
- Leadership Studies- Master's
- Learning and Teaching in Higher Education- Cert
- Library Sector Leadership- Cert
- Linguistics- Master's
- Linguistics- PhD
- Mathematics and Statistics- Master's
- Mathematics and Statistics- PhD
- Mechanical Engineering- Master's
- Mechanical Engineering- PhD
- Music- Master's
- Music- PhD
- Neuroscience- Master's
- Neuroscience- PhD
- Nursing- Master's
- Nursing- PhD
- Pacific and Asian Studies- Master's
- Philosophy- Master's
- Physics and Astronomy- Master's
- Physics and Astronomy- PhD
- Political Science- Master's
- Political Science- PhD
- Psychology- Master's
- Psychology- PhD
- Public Administration- Cert Dipl
- Public Administration- Master's
- Public Administration- PhD
- Public Health- Dipl
- Public Health and Social Policy- Master's
- Social Dimensions of Health- Master's
- Social Dimensions of Health- PhD
- Social Work- Master's
- Sociology- Master's
- Sociology- PhD
- Graduate programs by special arrangement (SPARR)- Master's PhD
- Studies in Policy and Practice
- Theatre- Master's
- Visual Arts- Master's
- Writing- Master's
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Department of Biology
- School of Business
- Department of Chemistry
- School of Child and Youth Care
- School of Public Administration
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Educational Psychology and Leadership Studies
- Department of English
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Curriculum and Instruction
- School of Earth and Ocean Sciences
- Department of Economics
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- School of Environmental Studies
- Department of Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education
- Department of French
- Department of Geography
- Department of Germanic and Slavic Studies
- Department of Greek and Roman Studies
- School of Health Information Science
- Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies
- Department of History in Art
- Indigenous Governance Program
- Faculty of Law
- Department of Linguistics
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Music
- Division of Medical Sciences
- School of Nursing
- Department of Pacific and Asian Studies
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Department of Psychology
- School of Public Health and Social Policy
- Social Dimensions of Health Program
- School of Social Work
- Studies in Policy and Practice Program
- Department of Theatre
- Department of Visual Arts
- Department of Writing