- New Province of BC Graduate Student Fellowships
New Province of British Columbia Graduate Student Fellowships
The British Columbia Ministry of Advanced Education, Innovation and Technology has provided the University of Victoria with 11 one-time Fellowships of $15,000 each for the 2013/2014 academic year. These fellowships will be available to graduate students whose research aligns with government plans and priorities related to eight key industry initiatives within the BC Jobs Plan.
Further details regarding the eight key industry initiatives and application instructions are available here. Please ensure you meet the eligibility requirements and note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note that the application deadline has now passed.
Successful applicants will be notified via email in mid-to-late June 2013.
- What's New at FGS!
2013 has been already been a busy year for staffing updates at the Faculty of Graduate Studies' Dean's Office.
We are pleased to announce Carolyn Swayze has been named the new Coordinator - Information, Research, and Communications at the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Carolyn has moved within the office from her position as a Scholarships Officer. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are equally as pleased to announce that Yvonne Rondeau has joined the Faculty of Graduate Studies in Carolyn's vacant Scholarships Officer position. Yvonne joins us from Student Awards and Financial Aid and can be reached at email@example.com.
Please join us in congratulating Carolyn and Yvonne on their new positions!
- Former Dean of Graduate Studies passes away
The university flag will be lowered on Thursday, March 21, 2013 in honour of Dr. Samuel L. Macey, who passed away on March 11, 2013. Dr. Macey was a UVic professor of English for 19 years and served as Dean of Graduate Studies from 1983 to 1986. He was also the long-time editor of the Finnerty Gardens newsletter and a great friend of UVic.
A memorial will be held on Thursday, March 21 from 3 to 5 p.m. at the University Club.
Read more about Dr. Macey's life here.
- CAPP Reports for Students
Effective 15 March 2013, Graduate students who are Active, Temporarily Inactive or Withdrawn with Dean’s Permission will be able to generate their own Degree Audit Report (CAPP Report) online in My Page. CAPP reports are a great resource for confirming the remaining university and program requirements for a declared program. To access this report, students will need to sign in to My Page and then access the ‘Degree Evaluation’ option on the ‘Grades & Records’ tab under ‘Student Services.’
Questions regarding the information on the CAPP report should be directed to the Senior Graduate Admissions and Records Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Canadian Graduate and Professional Student Survey 2013
Participation in the Canadian Graduate and Professional Student Survey (CGPSS) gives you the opportunity to contribute to improving your UVic educational experience and those of future students.The survey is by invitation only - if you have been selected to participate in this survey you will have received an email with the link to the online survey and a password and ID to use.
Participation in this survey is voluntary but by doing so, you have a chance to win one of two $300 gift cards to the UVic Bookstore! The results of the survey (which are fully anonymous) provide valuable planning data to help our institution improve all aspects of your graduate education. This study is being conducted at more than 40 Canadian universities to ask students about their activities and what they feel they are gaining from their university experiences overall.
The survey closes on Friday, March 29, 2013, so please consider completing the survey if you have been invited to participate.
- Andy Farquharson Teaching Award Winners 2013
Andy Farquharson Teaching Excellence Award for Graduate Students
The Andy Farquharson Teaching Excellence Award for Graduate Students were awarded to the winners at a ceremony on Tuesday, February 5, 2013.
This year's winners were selected from a pool of 15 nominees from across campus. Up to three awards are given out annually and are for registered graduate students who have excelled in their teaching during the preceding calendar year.
This year's award recipients are (L-R): Scott Kouri, MA student (CYC); Jessica Blythe, PhD student (GEOG); and Iman Moazzen, PhD student (ELEC).
- UVic Student Awarded 2013 Rhodes Scholarship
Tara Paterson — University of Victoria student, devoted community volunteer, ardent activist and former students’ society chair — is heading to the University of Oxford next October as UVic’s newest Rhodes Scholar. Paterson, 23, is the 2013 Rhodes Scholar for BC. The postgraduate awards, which cover all travel, living and study expenses at the British university, are each valued at more than $100,000.
Tara is in her final year of an honours degree in Women’s Studies and Political Science at the University of Victoria where she was also Chairperson of the Students’ Society. Her passion for social justice has driven her studies and activism. Interested in issues of sexual and reproductive health and rights, Tara has held positions with several international and local organizations.
Read more about Tara Paterson in the Media Release from UVic Communications here.
- Vanier Scholarships for five UVic PhD students
The Government of Canada’s Vanier Scholarship program attracts and retains world-class doctoral students and helps establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. Each scholarship is worth $50,000 per year for three years.
- 2011 Trudeau Scholarship winner
UVic Law student Johnny Mack is one of 14 PhD students receiving a highly coveted doctoral scholarship of $180,000 from the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation. As a 2011 Trudeau Scholar, Mack will be investigating how traditional socio-political and legal frameworks of the Nuu-chah-nulth people of Vancouver Island could be reformed to better reflect the realities and issues their communities face today. Read more about this 2011 Trudeau Scholarship winner.
- Governor General's Gold Medal winner
At the 2011 spring convocation, David Cecchetto, PhD in Cultural, Social and Political Thought, was the winner of the Governor General's Gold Medal.
Dr. Cecchetto is also the winner of the 2011 CAGS/UMI Distinguished Dissertation award. Read David's full story here.
- New grad studies site - what do you think?
We've recently updated our site - and we want to hear what you think.
If you're having trouble finding something, like the new look and organization, or have anything else you'd like to tell us, use our feedback form.
- Grad school gift pays tribute to Sikh immigrants
UVic’s graduate business school has a new name, the Sardul S. Gill Graduate School of Business, marking the first time in Canada that such an institution has been named for a donor of Indian descent. The new name honours Victoria resident Sardul Singh Gill’s $5-million gift to the Gustavson School of Business.
- Master's engineering program wins business accolades
BC Business Magazine has named the University of Victoria's engineering entrepreneurship master's program as one of its "20 Most Innovative Companies" in BC. The magazine describes the program as "impressively inventive" and growing "ideas that have a business plan encoded in their DNA." Through a unique partnership with Wesley Clover International, an Ottawa-based investment company, UVic engineering students are being given the opportunity to graduate with a master's degree, a diploma in entrepreneurship, and equity in a business they helped form. Learn more about engineering and entrepreneurship at UVic.
- NSERC CREATE Program in Forests and Climate Change
This new program offers outstanding MSc and PhD opportunities for graduate work in Biology and Forest Biology. Learn more about the NSERC CREATE Training Program.
- Public Health Focus of New School at UVic
Effective September 2011, the School of Public Health and Social Policy in the Faculty of Human and Social Development will offer a Master’s degree of Public Health. Public Health Focus of New School.
- New UVic Neuroscience Graduate Program
The UVic Neuroscience Graduate Program (MSc and PhD) was given final approval by the Ministry of Advanced Education on May 19, 2011. The program is interdisciplinary, building on existing strengths in the Psychology, Biology, Division of Medical Sciences, Biochemistry and Microbiology and Exercise Science, Physical & Health Education Departments and will be hosted by the Division of Medical Sciences.
The first students will enter the Neuroscience Graduate Program in September 2011
- Anthropology- Master's
- Anthropology- PhD
- Biochemistry and Microbiology- Master's
- Biochemistry and Microbiology- PhD
- Biology- Master's
- Biology- PhD
- Business Administration- Master's
- Business Administration and Laws- Master's
- Global Business- Master's
- Business Administration- PhD
- Chemistry- Master's
- Chemistry- PhD
- Child and Youth Care- Master's
- Child and Youth Care- PhD
- Community Development- Master's
- Computer Science- Master's
- Computer Science- PhD
- Counselling- Master's
- Cultural, Social and Political Thought Program- Master's
- Cultural, Social and Political Thought Program- PhD
- Cultural Heritage Studies- Cert
- Cultural Heritage Management- Dipl
- Cultural Sector Leadership- Cert
- Curriculum & Instruction- Master's
- Curriculum & Instruction- Master's
- Curriculum & Instruction- PhD
- Dispute Resolution- Master's
- Double degrees- Master's
- Double and joint degrees with other institutions- Master's
- Earth and Ocean Sciences- Master's
- Earth and Ocean Sciences- PhD
- Economics- Master's
- Economics- PhD
- Educational Psychology- Master's
- Educational Psychology- PhD
- Electrical and Computer Engineering- Master's
- Electrical and Computer Engineering- PhD
- English- Master's
- English- PhD
- Entrepreneurship - Cert
- Entrepreneurship- Dipl
- Environmental Studies- Master's
- Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education- Master's
- Evaluation- Cert
- Evaluation- Dipl
- Kinesiology- Master's
- Kinesiology- PhD
- French- Master's
- Geography- Master's
- Geography- PhD
- Germanic and Slavic Studies- Master's
- Greek and Roman Studies- Master's
- Health Information Science- Master's
- Hispanic and Italian Studies- Master's
- History in Art- Master's
- History in Art- PhD
- History- Master's
- History- PhD
- Indigenous Governance- Master's
- Interdisciplinary program (INTD)- Master's PhD
- Jointly-supervised individual programs- PhD
- Law- Master's
- Law- PhD
- Leadership Studies- Master's
- Leadership Studies- Master's
- Learning and Teaching in Higher Education- Cert
- Library Sector Leadership- Cert
- Linguistics- Master's
- Linguistics- PhD
- Mathematics and Statistics- Master's
- Mathematics and Statistics- PhD
- Mechanical Engineering- Master's
- Mechanical Engineering- PhD
- Music- Master's
- Music- PhD
- Neuroscience- Master's
- Neuroscience- PhD
- Nursing- Master's
- Nursing- PhD
- Pacific and Asian Studies- Master's
- Philosophy- Master's
- Physics and Astronomy- Master's
- Physics and Astronomy- PhD
- Political Science- Master's
- Political Science- PhD
- Psychology- Master's
- Psychology- PhD
- Public Administration- Cert Dipl
- Public Administration- Master's
- Public Administration- PhD
- Public Health- Dipl
- Public Health and Social Policy- Master's
- Social Dimensions of Health- Master's
- Social Dimensions of Health- PhD
- Social Work- Master's
- Sociology- Master's
- Sociology- PhD
- Graduate programs by special arrangement (SPARR)- Master's PhD
- Studies in Policy and Practice
- Theatre- Master's
- Visual Arts- Master's
- Writing- Master's
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology
- Department of Biology
- School of Business
- Department of Chemistry
- School of Child and Youth Care
- School of Public Administration
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Educational Psychology and Leadership Studies
- Department of English
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Curriculum and Instruction
- School of Earth and Ocean Sciences
- Department of Economics
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- School of Environmental Studies
- Department of Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education
- Department of French
- Department of Geography
- Department of Germanic and Slavic Studies
- Department of Greek and Roman Studies
- School of Health Information Science
- Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies
- Department of History in Art
- Indigenous Governance Program
- Faculty of Law
- Department of Linguistics
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Music
- Division of Medical Sciences
- School of Nursing
- Department of Pacific and Asian Studies
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Department of Psychology
- School of Public Health and Social Policy
- Social Dimensions of Health Program
- School of Social Work
- Studies in Policy and Practice Program
- Department of Theatre
- Department of Visual Arts
- Department of Writing