We are one of BC’s top employers... and we are a community
Together we are more than 2,000 dedicated staff supporting the University of Victoria’s diverse academic programs, world class research and commitment to civic engagement.
We are office workers, managers, horticulturalists, trades, nurses, physicians, IT professionals, library assistants, cooks, cashiers and housekeepers. Each and every one of us plays a vital role in enabling UVic to fulfill its mission.
A total rewards philosophy
When you work at UVic you become part of a community in a campus setting that offers faculty, staff and their families access to all of its social, athletic and cultural amenities. Our campus is unsurpassed for its gardens, trails, green space and an overall environment that promotes engagement and healthful work-life choices.
In addition to competitive salaries, UVic contributes to your and your family’s health and security through its comprehensive medical, dental and pension benefits plus:
- generous vacation time off
- equity and diversity support and initiatives - Indigenous counselling office, religious observances and more
- career development funding
- a diverse range of learning and development opportunities
- on-site child care
- discounted athletic facility membership
- sustainability initiatives, including discounted transit passes and offering a pedestrian- and bike-friendly campus
We hope you'll come to UVic to grow, to make an impact, and to stay. See our current job postings.
What we offer
Careers at UVic
With over 2,000 employees, there's a wide range of jobs on campus. We're office workers, horticulturalists, physicians, technicians, graphic designers, library assistants and more. Learn about our work in this video from the ConnectU staff conference.
At UVic you'll have the opportunity to explore different types of jobs during your career.
Compensation and benefits
We offer a total compensation and rewards package:
What makes UVic unique
The University of Victoria is one of Canada's leading research universities. People make our university. We're a community of:
- 892 faculty members
- 737 sessional instructors
- 1037 specialist/instructional staff
- 2280 administrative, professional and support staff
- 3187 graduate students
- 17,012 undergraduates (2011-12 numbers)
Nestled between the ocean and the forest with stunning mountain views, UVic enjoys an enviable location. Our campus is located on 402 acres of beautiful, park-like property, just 15 minutes from downtown Victoria and within walking distance of the Pacific Ocean, as well as many shops and restaurants.
Excellent students are attracted to UVic by the engaging faculty, relatively small class sizes, intimate community atmosphere and the many experiential learning opportunities. Seventy per cent of our students come from outside of Victoria, making UVic a destination university full of people living away from home and invested in creating a community together. The co-operative education program, one of the largest and most diverse in Canada, provides students with relevant, engaging and practical learning experiences beyond the classroom.
For a closer look at the campus:
10 top things to do at UVic
- Hike through Mystic Vale.
- Enjoy Friday Music in MacLaurin.
- Wander around Finnerty Gardens.
- Browse the bookstore.
- Catch a movie at Cinecenta.
- Get cultured at the Phoenix Theatre.
- See the exhibits at the art galleries.
- Work out at the gyms.
- Enjoy the food and beverage outlets.
- Take a campus walking tour.
Current job postings
Current job postings
Other opportunities on campus include:
UVic’s online job application process is a temporary job posting and application system. The university expects to launch a permanent online system in summer 2014.
Please follow the instructions below to submit your job application.
How to apply
- uHire is not available for submitting job applications. For a limited period of time your uHire ResumeTracker ID will remain active and resumes you have saved will be available for you to save to your personal files. We recommend retrieving your personal information from uHire prior to starting the application process in our new online job application system.
- Prepare your cover letter and resume.
- Complete the online application form.
- Use the browse button to upload your resume and cover letter. Please include both documents in a single file as the system will accept only one document upload. Any valid file format (e.g. Word, PDF) is acceptable.
- Choose ‘submit’ and your application will be processed in accordance with the applicable selection process.
If you need assistance with your application, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Information on applying for faculty and librarian positions is available on the Opportunities for faculty and librarians page.
Understanding employee groups at UVic
Note: These are general descriptions of the university's employee groups. Contact Human Resources if you have questions. The numbers for each group represent approximate head counts as of March 1, 2012.
CUPE 951 is made up of approximately 693 regular and 90 term office, technical, and child care employees.
CUPE 917 is made up of approximately 333 full-time and 108 part-time employees. They work in areas like maintenance and grounds, food and housing services, athletics and recreation, campus security and university auditorium.
CUPE 4163 is the University of Victoria Educational Employees' Union. CUPE local 4163 is made up of approximately 1500 members. It represents teaching assistants, second language instructors, sessional lecturers, lab instructors, computing user services employees, music performance instructors, academic assistants, cultural assistants and others.
The local is made up of three components:
- Component one is made up mostly of graduate and undergraduate employees who work as teaching assistants, lab instructors, computer lab assistants, cultural assistants and academic assistants.
- Component two is made up of second language instructors in the English Language Centre and French language program.
- Component three is made up of music performance instructors and sessional lecturers, who teach the bulk of undergraduate courses at UVic.
Professional Employees Association (PEA) is comprised of approximately 774 full-time and 78 part-time administrative and academic professional employees.
Management excluded group - 92 senior management employees are excluded from a bargaining unit. They are governed by a terms and conditions document which is available through Human Resources.
Exempt group - 32 employees are excluded from the bargaining unit. Terms and conditions documents applying to this group are available through Human Resources.
University of Victoria Faculty Association is made up of approximately 886 faculty members and 40 professional librarians. Please see the faculty framework agreement.