About computer science
Aspects of computer science are found almost everywhere.
Turn on the computer and an operating systems boots up. Open a web browser and use a search engine to find the latest news. Use an internet application to chat with friends.
This is all made possible by computer science.
Working in a wide range of fields, computer scientists study how computing devices can help people work together to integrate technologies and solve problems relevant to science and society.
Computer scientists use their problem-solving skills to work in music, finance, aviation, health care, media, and almost every other industry.
Computer science is often an interdisciplinary effort, and there are more people working in computer science today than ever before. As an ever-expanding field of study, computer science gives students exceptional career prospects.
Computer science can make your career goals a reality.
- Computer Science major and honours programs
- 4 options to choose with your Major, if desired
- or choose a Minor in computer science
- many interdisciplinary programs with computer science are available too
We offer the Bachelor of Software Engineering in partnership with the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering.
- Details on the accredited Bachelor of Software Engineering (BSEng) program can be found on the Software Engineering website.
For program information on graduate studies in computer science, please visit our Graduate webpage
- Admission requirements for high school applicants.
- Admission requirements for college & university transfer applicants.
- BC Transfer Guide can give you an idea of which courses can be transferred between institutions.
For admission information on graduate studies in computer science, please visit our Graduate webpage.
- Join our computer science student clubs.
- Be part of our extraordinary environment at UVic.
- Have access to the latest hardware and software in our 10 Windows and Linux lab environments in our sustainable Engineering & Computer Science building.
- Be part of vital impact in cutting-edge research with our innovative research teams leading the way.
- Dynamic learning is here for you with our renowned faculty.
- Members of our department have received distinguished awards for their teaching, research, and published work.
- Join experts and other guest lecturers at special talks and events offered by the department.
Learn the skills and abilities that are needed in today's workplace and fundamental concepts that will prepare you for life-long learning. We integrate current research and education, keeping the curriculum continually up-to-date and giving you the foundation for future success. Join the co-op program and you will gain valuable work experience to complement your studies and help you get your dream job. Many of our graduates work for companies listed on our Co-op page. A degree in computer science is extremely flexible. Both the computer science and software engineering programs will allow you to work in virtually any industry you choose. Whatever your interest, these dynamic professions let you pursue your dreams.
To find out about the local technology sector, visit the following websites: