Copying files from the Canon Vixia camera
To see larger versions of the images in this document hover over the image and click on the expander icon at the top left corner.
For more information about the Canon Vixia camera, check out the hardware page.
1. When you have finished filming and you are ready to retrieve your files, plug the Canon Vixia video camera into a computer using the supplied USB cable. In order to transfer files, the camera must also be plugged into a power supply; this is a safety feature to prevent file corruption if the battery dies in the middle of transfer.
2. Turn on the camera. Press the Playback button to switch from recording mode. If the USB cable is properly connected and the camera is receiving power, the screen will display a USB connection message. Select Built-in Mem. and an icon named CANON will pop up on your desktop.
3. Double click the icon. Select AVCHD, then right-click and select Show Package Contents.
4. Select BDMV, then right-click and select Show Package Contents.
5. The videos are located in the STREAM folder.
6. The Canon Vixia automatically divides recordings into 2GB (approx. 15 minutes) segments, so you may have multiple files. Select your video files and drag them to your desktop.
7. Once your files have been transferred from the camera, please delete your movies from the camera out of courtesy for other users. Select your files, right click and choose Move to Trash/Delete.
Please note: The Canon Vixia uses the .mts file format to save information, which is not compatible with video players on computers. In order to work with your video files (viewing or editing) they will have to be converted into another format.
- Converting .MTS files using Handbrake
- Converting video files using Quick Time Player
- Converting video files using MPEG Streamclip
- More FAQs.
- More resources.