Editing Your About Me Page
We recommend using Firefox for all your ePortfolio work (and for reading these pages).
To see larger versions of the images in this document hover over the image and click on the expander icon at the top left corner.
Step 1: Download your current About Me page
1. Click on File Manager in the navigation bar on the lefthand side of your ePortfolio workspace. The File Manager contains all of the files and templates that make your webpage work, so be very careful when navigating to make sure you don't misplace or delete any important files.
Please note: you cannot download any files from your file manager using Internet Explorer.
2. In order to edit your About Me page, we need to download a copy of the webpage code. In this case, the file is in the Pages folder and is called about_me.html. To download files from your file manager, click on the icon next to the name.
3. When the save window pops up, save the file to your desktop. If your downloads default to a different folder, you will have to drag and drop about_me.html to your desktop.
The program we are going to use to edit is called Kompozer. It is free web editing software that is relatively easy to use, and it is installed on all of the workstations in the Education labs. If you would like to edit your webpages from your own computer, you can find a download here.
Please note: there are two different version of Kompozer that can be downloaded from their website. We have discovered that the newer version (.83a) causes strange formatting errors on your webpage. To avoid that, use version .70 instead. If you have already installed the program and don't know what version you are using, this is how you check: Mac Windows
Step 2: Edit your current About Me page
4. Launch Kompozer and open about_me.html. You will notice that none of the background pictures are displayed because we just downloaded the framework of your homepage. This is the template of your homepage. The red lines and boxes represent the different parts of your webpage, so be careful not to delete anything important.
5. Once your cursor is in the right box, you can enter your text. Formatting can be done from the Format menu. Feel free to write everything in a word processor first, then copy and paste into your webpage template.
6. Now that all our changes have been made, we save the edited version.
Step 3: Upload your new About Me page
7. Back in our File Manager, we're going to upload the new version of about_me.html into the Pages folder.
Please note: when uploading files to the File Manager with the same name as an existing file will overwrite the old file without warning. This is helpful when replacing files like home.html with a new version, but be careful in your artifacts folder.
The edited page has now been uploaded.
Handy Tip: when uploading files to the File Manager with the same name as an existing file will overwrite the old file without warning. This is helpful when replacing files like about_me.html with a new version, but be careful in your artifacts folder.
- Editing your Home page
- Editing your Teaching Beliefs page
- Editing your Resume page
- More HACQs.
- More resources.