Graduate co-op

Graduate cooperative education
Cooperative education gives you real world experience to supplement your graduate studies.

How do I apply for co-op?

The EPHE Co-op and Career office works with graduate students who are in the School of Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education.  Unless you are in the MEd, Coaching Studies program (with mandatory coop) you must apply to take part. Meeting with the EPHE Co-op Coordinator is the first step in applying.

Programs (you are automatically enrolled in)

  • Master of Education – Coaching Studies- a mandatory co-op program (you’re automatically enrolled).

Co-op experiences in this program will help you apply classroom concepts in the workplace, by coaching athletes and reflecting on what makes for "good" coaching behaviour.

Programs (you must apply to take part – by November 30 each year)

  • Master of Science, Kinesiology Co-op.
  • Master of Arts, Leisure Service Administration Co-op.
  • Master of Education and Master of Arts programs in Curriculum and Instruction OR Educational Psychology and Leadership Studies Co-op.

Co-op experiences in these programs include work with government ministries responsible for education (K-12 and post-secondary), children/families and policy development, as well as through school districts, adult education associations and professional organizations.

How many work terms will you complete?

Master’s students will complete two work terms. Doctoral students will complete three.

Where can I work?

That depends on you! You can apply to posted co-op jobs or arrange your own work term by approaching an employer. Want to travel the world while you work? Apply for a job with one of our international employers, or find a job with an organization elsewhere in Canada.

How much time will I need to spend looking for a job?

That depends on the number of jobs you apply to, whether you’re willing to relocate for a work term, and when you decide to apply. Co-op work terms begin in September, January and May. Many employers begin posting jobs two to three months before the job starts. The best way to land a job is to apply to many different jobs, and to consider opportunities outside Victoria. Apply early and apply often.

Once I become a co-op student, will I have help searching for jobs?

Absolutely. You’ll take part in workshops to learn how to write résumés and cover letters, and how to excel in interviews. You’ll also be assigned a co-op coordinator who can help you search for co-op positions.

Is co-op available for international students?

Yes. But to work off campus, you need a valid off-campus work permit. This means you must:

  • hold a valid study permit;
  • have been registered as a full-time student for at least six out of the last 12 months;
  • have maintained satisfactory academic standing in your program of study; and
  • have a Social Insurance Number.


The following people are available to assist you with questions related to undergraduate or graduate co-operative education. You can find more specific information about co-operative education on the EPHE Co-operative Education and Career Services webpage and on the Co-operative Education and Career Services website.


Ms. Nancy Reed
Phone: 250-472-4690
Email: Nancy Reed

Administrative Assistant

Phone: 250-721-8390
Fax: 250-472-4944
Email: EPHE Co-op