Top online tools
Solar-powered lights embedded in bike lanes. Foot rests at intersections. Interactive walking maps on trails. These are just a few of the cool ideas from University of Victoria students to encourage cycling and walking in urban and rural environments around Greater Victoria.
University of Victoria doctoral candidate Nick Stanger is researching “sense of place” and how formative places become transformative places. Stanger says with more and more time spent online and in front of screens, people are losing their connection to the ecological systems that are life sustaining, both in the physical and psychological senses.
BC grizzly bears are being over hunted, putting the future of the population at risk, say the authors of a new study released today in the scientific journal PLOS ONE. Researchers from UVic, SFU and Raincoast Conservation Foundation show in their report that there are serious shortfalls with the management of the grizzly bear hunt in BC.
- View all news releases on the UVic communications website.
Events and important dates
- 2013-12-10 - Lecture/Seminar - Biodiversity in Nature Conservancy of Canada's Interior Grasslands
- 2013-12-10 - Exhibit - Art exhibit: The Basement Panoramas
- 2013-12-10 - Film - "Francis Ha"
- 2013-12-10 - Lecture/Seminar - Cafe Scientifique - "When is a cancer clinical trial not a clinical trial; what the heck has it got to do with physics?"
- 2013-12-11 - Lecture/Seminar - CFGS Global Talks - Michaelangelo Anastasiou: Technology, Nationalism and Social Change