Career Ambassador Program
Interested in a career in marketing, event coordination, social media or communications? We’re looking for students like you to provide marketing and events support for our programming. Volunteer with UVic Co-op and Career Services and gain relevant work experience for your résumé!
Now taking applications for the Career Ambassador Program!
Apply now to become a CA
As a career ambassador (CA), you'll work as part of a team to promote experiential learning (volunteering, service-learning, co-op, part-time work, casual jobs and more) and connect students with the valuable career resources, programs, events and opportunities available at UVic.
You'll strengthen your communication, teamwork, leadership, marketing and event coordination skills through hands-on experience working with Co-op and Career staff and other students.
How to apply:
Please submit your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Accepting applications on an ongoing basis!
What is CAP?
Career Ambassadors (CAs) are a group UVic students who volunteer their time to build awareness and visibility about the events and programs run by Co-op and Career at UVic. CAs are provided with volunteer training sessions at the beginning of September each year. After the training sessions are complete, CA's volunteer about 2-3 hours each week. Joining CAP is a great way to meet other students, develop leadership skills and get involved with the second-largest department at UVic!
You will support the Co-op and Career Marketing and Events Coordinator as well as the Communications Officer.
Events and marketing:
- Provide support before, during and after events (career fairs, Co-op Info Day, What Can You Do With Your Degree? panel presentations, etc.). This involves helping with setup and takedown, staffing info tables, greeting exhibitors and students, etc.
- Promote our events throughout the year by postering, chalkboarding, giving short classroom presentations and using your social media prowess to spread the word.
- Engage your student peers about our services. For example, you could help host hot chocolate booths in the quad several times a semester as a fun way to engage with students and chat with them about the programs and resources we offer.
- Use your social media savvy to amp up the dialogue on our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube).
- Help populate our social media channels with some great career themed articles.
- Become an expert on our online resources and share your knowledge at events and through social media channels.
For candidates who show interest and strong competencies in career counselling or education, there may be an opportunity to work directly with a Career Educator on other projects.
As a Career Ambassador, you’ll develop the following competencies that you can use in many other employment settings:
- Marketing, communications and event management experience
- Public speaking, leadership and coaching experience
- Social media engagement strategies
- Oral and written communication skills
- Minimum 2nd year academic standing at UVic
- Able to commit from September 2014 to April 2015
- Proven ability to build rapport and communicate with tact and sensitivity
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Be in good academic standing at UVic
- Available to participate for a minimum of 10 hours per month (2-3 hours per week)
- Attend all mandatory training programs and scheduled meetings
- Energetic, outgoing and dedicated to having a positive impact on the UVic student experience
- Strong desire to assist and inform other students about the role that career plays in university education
- Proven time management skills
- Respect for diversity
- Experience and comfort with public speaking
Questions? Contact us!
For more information on the Career Ambassador Program, please contact email@example.com.