As a sociology co-op student, you can compliment your academic terms with co-op terms working for a range of employers. You'll develop career-related competencies, earn some extra cash, and boost your chances of landing your dream job after graduation.
There are two application deadlines each year: Sept 20 and Jan 20.
- Our programs and how to apply
- How co‑op works
- Fees and funding
- Work term information
- Challenge a work term
- Co‑op forms
Our programs and how to apply
The Sociology Co-op Program is an optional co-op program. You can apply to this program as an undergraduate student if you:
- are a full-time UVic student and are taking at least 12 units per year
- have completed your first year of study
- have a 5.0 GPA (B average) overall and a 5.0 GPA (B average) in all sociology courses
- have completed SOCI 100, 210 and 211 with a B average
- are willing to accept work term placements elsewhere in Canada
All sociology graduate students are eligible to take part in co-op. Contact our office for details.
Graduating with co-op designation
If you successfully complete all your required co-op work terms, you'll earn a co-op designation on your degree. Undergraduate students must complete three four-month work terms to graduate with co-op designation. Graduate students must complete two to three work terms.
Work Experience Program
Work Experience Program
Not sure if co-op’s right for you? As an undergraduate student studying sociology in the Faculty of Social Sciences, you can participate in the Sociology Work Experience Program.
You can apply to this flexible program at any time during your degree (although the program is best suited to fourth- or fifth-year undergraduate students) and complete one or two paid work terms with employers in your field instead of three or four. You’ll receive all the same benefits and support as a co-op student.
Once accepted into the Work Experience Program, you can transfer to the co-op program later, as long as you meet the co-op requirements. You’ll then have the opportunity to complete extra work terms and graduate with a co-op designation on your degree.
How to apply (for both programs)
How to apply
To apply to Sociology Co-op or the Sociology Work Experience Program, drop off a completed application package to the co-op office in SSM A204 (map). Your application package should include:
- A completed application form: download an application form or pick one up from DTB A204.
- A cover letter: Your one-page cover letter should introduce yourself and explain why you're applying.
- An updated résumé: Include your latest experiences, including extracurricular activities (volunteer, sports, outdoor, arts).
- Unofficial transcripts from post-secondary institutions (including UVic). Photocopies are accepted.
When to apply - Co-op Program
There are two admission periods and corresponding application deadlines: Sept 20 and Jan 20 of each year.
When to apply - Work Experience Program
Application for this program is the same as for the undergraduate co-op program: Sept 20 and Jan 20 of each year.