Humanities, Fine Arts and Professional Writing (HFPW) Co-op
Put your learning in motion.
In HFPW Co-op, you’ll alternate your studies with paid co-op terms working for government, theatres, galleries, libraries, arts groups, newspapers, publishers, private firms and more. You’ll try out different jobs and gain relevant work experience to help launch your career after graduation.
HFPW Co-op is for students in:
- Cultural Resource Management
- Germanic/Slavic Studies
- Greek/Roman Studies
- Hispanic/Italian Studies
- History in Art
- Intercultural Education and Training Program
- Latin American Studies
- Medieval Studies
- Pacific/Asian Studies
- Professional Writing
- Religious Studies
- Visual Arts
- Women’s Studies
Wondering what it's like to be an HFPW co-op student? Check out our student stories!
Office: Clearihue Building, room D128 (map)
Units: Faculties of Fine Arts and Humanities
- How to apply
- The co‑op process
- Fees and funding
- Find a co‑op work term
- During your work term
- After your work term
- Sample work term reports
- Résumé and cover letter tips
- Co‑op student stories
- Student blogs
- Co‑op forms
How to apply
You must meet the following requirements to apply to HFPW Co-op. If you successfully complete all your required co-op work terms, you'll earn a co-op distinction on your degree. Undergraduate students must complete four work terms to graduate with co-op designation. Graduate students must complete two to three work terms.
To apply to HFPW Co-op as an undergraduate student, you must:
- be registered as a full-time student, with at least 6.0 units (four classes) per term
- have and maintain a GPA of at least 5.5 (B+ average)
- be registered in a degree program (BA, BMus, BFA, MA, MFA, PhD) at UVic in the Faculties of Humanities or Fine Arts OR
- the Professional Writing Minor (professional writing minors must include a six-page writing portfolio) OR
- the Cultural Resource Management Diploma OR
- the Intercultural Education and Training Program OR
- a BSc in Linguistics (undergrads must have completed first year of studies – at least 12.0 units)
To apply to HFPW Co-op as a graduate student, you should contact us to see if co-op will fit your academic schedule. You'll need to receive permission from your graduate adviser to participate in co-op.
How to apply
To apply to HFPW Co-op or the Fine Arts Work Experience Program, drop off your completed application package at our office in Clearihue D128 (map).
Your application package should include:
- a completed application form (undergraduate or graduate)
- a cover letter – a one-page cover letter to introduce yourself and explain why you’re applying
- a recent résumé – include your latest experiences, including extracurricular activities (volunteering, sports, outdoors, arts)
- a six-page writing portfolio (for professional writing minors only)
- UVic transcript – access these through your online student record (My page)
- other college and university transcripts – order these from each institution
When to apply
You can apply to co-op by the last Friday in September and January of your second, third, or fourth year. If you’re a graduate student, contact us to see if co-op will fit your academic schedule.
Fine Arts Work
Fine Arts Work Experience Program
Not sure if co-op is right for you? As a fine arts student (History in Art, Music, Theatre, Visual Arts or Writing) you can apply to the Fine Arts Work Experience Program at any time during your degree and complete two paid work terms instead of four. You’ll receive the same benefits and support as a co-op student, and you can choose to transfer into the HFPW Co-op Program later on (if it's still early enough in your studies).
Program requirements and the application process are the same as for co-op—please see the other tabs on this page.
Questions about the Work Experience Program? Please contact us.