Put your learning in motion.
As an economics co-op student, you can compliment your academic terms with co-op terms working for a range of employers. You’ll gain relevant work experience, gain competencies, earn some extra cash, and boost your chances of landing your dream job after graduation.
There are two application deadlines each year: Sept 20 and Jan 20.
Contact: Main office - 250-721-8689, firstname.lastname@example.org | Barb Fisher (co-op coordinator) - 250-721-8969, email@example.com
Office: Social Sciences & Math Building A204 (map) | Co-op coordinator: Business & Economics Building 320
Department: Economics Department
- Our programs and how to apply
- How co‑op works
- Fees and funding
- Work term information
- Challenge a work term
- Résumé and cover letter tips
- Co‑op student stories
- Co‑op forms
Our programs and how to apply
The Economics Co-op Program is an optional co-op program. You can apply to this program as an undergraduate student if you:
- are a full-time UVic student taking at least 12 units per year
- have completed your first year of study
- have a 4.5 GPA (B average) overall and a 4.5 GPA (B average) in ECON 103, 104, 225* and 245 with at least a B- in each and at least a B- in CSC 105.
- are willing to accept work term placements elsewhere in Canada
* Note: Students satisfy the Econ 225 requirement if they have received a B+ or higher in ENGL 135, 146, or 147. However, students may still want to take Econ 225 to improve their technical writing abilities.
Graduate students: all economics graduate students are eligible to take part in co-op. Contact our office for details.
Graduating with co-op designation
If you successfully complete all your required co-op work terms, you'll earn a co-op designation on your degree. Undergraduate students must complete three four-month work terms to graduate with co-op designation. Graduate students must complete two to three work terms.
Work Experience Program
Work Experience Program
Not sure if co-op’s right for you? As an undergraduate student studying economics in the Faculty of Social Sciences, you can participate in the Economics Work Experience Program.
You can apply to this flexible program at any time during your degree (although the program is best suited to fourth- or fifth-year undergraduate students) and complete one or two paid work terms with employers in your field instead of three or four. You’ll receive all the same benefits and support as a co-op student.
Once accepted into the Work Experience Program, you can transfer to the co-op program later, as long as you meet the co-op requirements. You’ll then have the opportunity to complete extra work terms and graduate with a co-op designation on your degree.
How to apply (for both programs)
How to apply
To apply to Economics Co-op or the Economics Work Experience Program, drop off a completed application package to the co-op office in SSM A204 (map). Your application package should include:
- A completed application form: download an application form or pick one up from DTB A204.
- A cover letter: Your one-page cover letter should introduce yourself and explain why you're applying.
- An updated résumé: Include your latest experiences, including extracurricular activities (volunteer, sports, outdoor, arts).
- Unofficial transcripts from post-secondary institutions (including UVic). Photocopies are accepted.
When to apply - Co-op Program
There are two application deadlines each year: Sept 15 and Jan 15.
When to apply - Work Experience Program
Application for this program is the same as for the undergraduate co-op program: by Sept 15 or Jan 15.