Photo and video contests
Lights, camera, co-op!
It's that time again! Our annual Co-op Photo and Video Contests are now open for 2013. Whether you worked in an office, a laboratory or the great outdoors, we want to see photos and footage of you on your co-op work term.
For both contests, we're offering great cash prizes:
- Grand prize – $500
- Runner-up – $250
- Third place – $100
Check out the information and guidelines below to submit your entries.
The 2013 Co-op Photo Contest closes Friday, August 30, 2013 at noon.
Photos must have been taken during co-op work terms that took place between September 2012 and August 2013.
How to submit your photos:
- Upload your photos (netlink ID and password required). You may enter a maximum of three photos.
- We’ll print your photo entries and post them on display at Co-op and Career Info Day on September 10, 2013. Stop by and vote for your favourite—the photo with the most votes wins!
- We’ll tally the votes, determine the victors and notify the contest winners. Good luck, and have fun!
- You must be a current co-op student.
- Photos must be of you on your work term—you must appear in the photo (no scenery-only shots, please).
- You may submit up to three photos.
- By submitting your photos to the Co-op Photo Contest, you agree to let Co-op and Career use your photos for promotional purposes. This means that your photo may appear on a UVic website, in a publication or in other promotional material. For this reason:
- You must be the owner of the photo. If someone else took the photo, make sure you have permission to use it.
- If your photos include shots of the workplace, make sure you have your employer’s permission.
- If your photos include other people, make sure you have the subjects' permission. Subjects other than you must complete and sign this Photo Subject Release Form. Submit the form to firstname.lastname@example.org, mail it to Co-op and Career at PO Box 1700 Victoria BC V8W 2Y2, or drop it off in the Business and Economics building, room 410.
The 2013 Co-op Video Contest closes Friday, August 30, 2013 at noon.
Videos must have been taken on work terms that took place between September 2012 and August 2013.
How to submit your video:
- Use your own equipment to shoot and edit your video, then upload it to YouTube. For tips about posting content on YouTube, check out the YouTube handbook.
- Email email@example.com with your first and last name, student number, co-op program and the link to your YouTube video.
- We’ll post your video on our Co-op and Career YouTube channel and link to the video from this page.
- We'll let you know when voting is open. The UVic community will vote for their favourite videos, and we’ll notify the winners when the contest closes. Good luck, and have fun!
Wondering what your video should be about? Here are a few ideas. You can also check out past winners for inspiration.
- Did you have an "aha!" moment that made you realize what you want to do as a career... or maybe what you don’t want to do?
- Did you work with an amazing mentor?
- Did your work experience help you better understand your area of study?
- What was it like working in a professional workplace? What did you learn, and what will you take back to the classroom?
- Did you work in a unique environment or travel to another city, province or country?
- You must be a current co-op student.
- Your video must be about your co-op work experience and should include information about what you were doing, where you worked, what you learned, and other information that would be interesting to other co-op students and employers.
- Videos should be 1 to 3 minutes long.
- Your video may include a mix of video footage and still footage, but should not be entirely still footage.
- If you include music with your video, make sure it complies with the Universal Music Group and YouTube Forge Strategic Partnership. This means that you can include music that belongs to the United Music Group as long as YouTube recognizes the song and includes an ad with your video.
- You may submit more than one video.
- By submitting your video, you agree that the University of Victoria may use it for promotional purposes.
Permission and approval
- If you plan to film in your workplace, make sure that you have your supervisor’s permission.
- If you include other people in your video (colleagues, supervisors or others), make sure you have their permission. To do this, you and the subject must complete sign this Video Subject Release Form. Submit the form to firstname.lastname@example.org, mail it to Co-op and Career at PO Box 1700 Victoria BC V8W 2Y2, or drop it off in room 410 of the Business and Economics Building.
- Use your discretion—choose a topic that respects your employer.