March 19-23 is National Co-op Week
Co-operative education plays a major role in the UVic student experience as 25 per cent of eligible students take part in co-op—the second highest participation rate for Canadian universities.
From March 19-23, 2012, the University of Victoria’s Co-operative Education Program and Career Services will join post-secondary institutions from across Canada to celebrate co-operative education during National Co-operative Education Week. This week is part of a national celebration that is organized by the Canadian Association for Co-operative Education (CAFCE), of which UVic is a member.Co-operative education, or co-op, connects university students with paid work experience related to their fields of study. One in four UVic students take part in a co-op program and UVic Co-op and Career places students from 47 academic disciplines in more than 2,600 co-op work terms each year. Students work for employers here on Vancouver Island, across Canada and around the world.
“Co-op is incredibly valuable to students, employers and our community,” says Norah McRae, executive director of UVic’s Co-operative Education Program and Career Services. “Co-op students put their competencies into practice in the workplace and employers are able to engage with bright, energetic students who want to make a difference. Everyone benefits.”
A January 2010 Ipsos Reid report on the impact of co-op in Canadian post-secondary education found that 83% of respondents who participated in a co-op program felt that co-op helped improve their integration into the work place and assisted with their academic learning.
How can you celebrate National Co-op Week on campus?
- Check out the "Social Media Challenge" and share your favourite co-op experience - prizes will be awarded every day!
- Learn about the amazing research co-op students have completed on our Tour de Co-op and Career page.
- Read student stories about students' co-op experiences.
- Check out our Youtube channel, Facebook group and Twitter feed to see what co-op students are up to.
- Visit one of our Co-op and Career offices to learn more about co-op at UVic.
Contact/Organizer name: Joy Poliquin
Contact/Organizer e-mail: email@example.com
Find a jobPost a job