UPCOMING AND CURRENT EVENTS | PAST EVENTS
- Co-op Photo Contest
June – August 2016
- Contest: Be a co-op student for a day
- Co-op and Career Info Day
Tuesday, September 13, 2016 (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- 2016 UVic Co-op and Career Fair
Tues, Oct 4 and Wed, Oct 5, 2016 | 10 am – 3:30 pm
- Mock Interview Clinics
2016 UVic Co-op and Career Fair
When: Tues, Oct 4 and Wed, Oct 5, 2016 | 10 am – 3:30 pm
Where: Michele Pujol Room – Student Union Building
Check back soon for our new look!
Find all information about the 2016 Co-op and Career Fair below! Exhibitor registration for our 2016 fair is now open.
For other upcoming fairs and employer events, please see events for employers and recruiters.
Co-op and Career Info Day
When: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
Where: Michele Pujol Room, Student Union Building
Contact: - firstname.lastname@example.org - 250-472-4094
Check back soon for our new look!
Welcome to UVic. What's in your career future?
Student life is great, but what comes next? Co-op and Career Info Day is the place to:
- Discover our career services and programs, including career exploration, free online programs, career workshops, online resource kits and more!
- Learn about the co-op program and how you can gain paid work experience that's relevant to your degree
- Find out about our flexible work experience program
- Check out entries in our famous annual Co-op Photo Contest
- Talk to a co-op student at our Human Library and get the inside (s)coop
Co-op Photo Contest
When: June – August 2016
Contact: - email@example.com
A picture is worth $500!
We put on our annual famous Co-op Photo Contest for students to share shots of their co-op experiences over the past year. Whether you worked in an office, a lab or the great outdoors, we want to see you in action on your co-op work term.
We're offering great cash prizes:
- Grand prize – $500
- Runner-up – $250
- Third place – $100
Event details for: Co-op students
How to enter
- Find the entry form here. All fields must be filled out to be eligible for the contest.
- Your photo descriptions can be a maximum of 250 characters (about 40–50 words).
- Your photo may be up to 5 MB in size. Please submit photos as high-res as possible (1–5 MB) to ensure image quality and improve your chances of winning!
- If you exceed these length or size guidelines, your upload will not work.
- Remember: You must appear in the photo. Read the contest rules below for full details.
- Photos must be submitted by noon on August 22, 2016.
By submitting your photo(s) to the Photo Contest, you agree that:
- the University of Victoria may use your photos for educational or promotional purposes. This means that your photo may appear on a UVic website, in a publication or in other promotional material.
- your entry follows the contest rules and you have obtained the necessary permissions as applicable.
ADDITONAL submission requirements for BCOM, MBA and MGB students:
- The student and at least one other team member or stakeholder (employer, coworker, customer or volunteer) must be in the photo.
- The photos for this contest must abide by all of the other general contest rules for the UVic Co-op & Career Photo Contest as well.
Top 10 shortlist
When the contest closes, a panel of Co-op and Career judges will choose the top 10 photos according to the following criteria:
- Technical quality of photo (photo is high-resolution, well-lit and in focus)
- Composition (subject is framed well; strong placement and angle)
- Visual interest (use of colour, originality, creativity; humour is welcome but optional)
- Representation of work term (photo directly relates to your work term)
- Adherence to contest rules (see rules in next section)
The top 10 photos will be printed and displayed at Co-op and Career Info Day on September 13, 2016. All photo entries will also be displayed at the event via digital screen.
Final voting for top three winners
Final voting to determine the three winners will take place online in September 2016. Check this page for the link to vote!
All members of the public, students, staff and faculty are welcome to cast a vote.
When voting is closed, we’ll tally the votes, determine the top three entries and contact the winners!
- You must be a current co-op student to enter the contest.
- All entry form fields must be filled out in order to be eligible for the contest.
- Photos must be from co-op work terms that took place from September 2015 to August 2016.
- Photos must be of you on your work term, in your work term environment. This means:
- You must appear in the photo (no scenery-only shots).
- The photo must be related to something you did on your co-op work term.
- Do not submit advertisements for your employer.
- Do not add text to the photo.
- You may submit up to three (3) photos, and photos must be submitted by noon on August 22, 2016.
- By submitting your photos to the Co-op Photo Contest, you agree to let the University of Victoria use your photos for educational or promotional purposes. This means that your photo may appear on a UVic website, in a publication or in other promotional material.
- By entering the contest, you are confirming that you are the owner of the photo. If someone else took the photo, make sure you have permission to use it.
- If your photos include the workplace, make sure you have your employer’s permission. By entering the contest, you are confirming that your employer has given permission for the workplace to be photographed.
- If your photos include other people, make sure you have their permission. By entering the contest, you are confirming that you have all of the subjects’ permission.
- If a child’s face is showing, his or her parents must sign this Photo Subject Release Form. Email the form(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org, mail it to PO Box 1700 / Victoria BC / V8W 2Y2, or drop it off in BEC 410. The exception to this rule is if the children are attending a camp/event that has its own photography consent status in place; if so, please email email@example.com to confirm.
- If you are a BCOM, MBA or MGB student, your photo must include the student and one other team member or stakeholder (employer, coworker, customer or volunteer). Your submission must also abide by all other general contest rules.
NOTES: As written in the University Calendar, the University of Victoria is committed to promoting, providing and protecting a positive, supportive and safe learning and working environment for all its members. UVic Co-operative Education Program and Career Services reserves the right to refuse a photo entry into the contest if its content does not adhere to this policy and/or is deemed to be inappropriate or offensive. Contest submissions are reviewed by the communications officer with assistance from a co-op student. Submissions are subject to the University policy; contest participants may be asked to select a different photo if the content does not adhere to this policy. Any amendments are at the discretion of the communications officer. The top 10 photos are selected by a panel of Co-op and Career staff. Final winners are determined by online vote available to the public, including UVic staff and faculty. The co-op student working with the communications officer is not eligible to participate in the contest.
Photo submissions gallery
Having technical issues?
We recommend submitting photos early just in case you experience technical issues, as we cannot accept photos after the deadline.
- Check that your photo is under the size limit (5 MB). If it's too large, you'll need to reduce the file size using File > Export or a photo editing program.
- Check that your photo descriptions are within the length limit (250 characters). Helpful tool: Character counter
If you continue to experience technical issues or have any questions about the contest or rules, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contest: Be a co-op student for a day
When: Fall 2016
Where: Enter online now or at Co-op and Career Info Day, Career Fair, or New Student Welcome
Contact: Co-op Student for a Day team - email@example.com - 250-721-6616
Tell us why you want to be a co-op student for a day for your chance to experience firsthand what it's like to be a co-op student and see what co-op has to offer!
Watch for contest updates on Twitter: #coop4aday
- Sample co-op, the employer, and the work environment
- Shadow employees
- Tour the workplace
- Network with team members
- Witness the workplace environment and culture
- Conduct informational interviews with employees and current co-op students
- Learn tips of the workforce
Visit the Co-op Student for a Day webpage for more!
Questions? Contact the Co-op Student for a Day team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-721-6616.