We offer a ton of events each year to help you:
- find work and meet employers
- improve your job search skills
- learn about potential careers
UPCOMING AND CURRENT EVENTS
- Volunteer Fair
September 25, 2014 (9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
- Pathways to Success
October 2014 to April 2015
- Employer information sessions
- Online career programs
Fall session – Sept to Dec 2014
- Career workshops
Ongoing – Sept 2014 to June 2015
- Startup Slam!
Saturday, Sept 20, 2014 (noon – 2:30 pm.)
- Co-op Student for a Day
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
- Co-op and Career Fair
Tues, Sept 23 and Wed, Sept 24, 2014 | 10 am – 3:30 pm
- Engineering and Computer Science/Math Mock Interview Clinic
October 1, 2014 (9:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m.)
- Cultural Competency Workshop
October 7-28, 2014 from 5-7pm. A four-week long session happening Tuesday evenings.
- Career panel and mock interview event for Indigenous students
October 9, 2014 (11 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
- What can you do with your degree?
October 2014 and March 2015
Co-op and Career Fair
When: Tues, Sept 23 and Wed, Sept 24, 2014 | 10 am – 3:30 pm
Where: Michele Pujol Room, Student Union Building
On Tuesday, September 23 and Wednesday, September 24, 2014, students and alumni can connect with over 50 employers from a wide range of companies and representatives from graduate and professional schools all in one place at the UVic Co-op and Career Fair. Thousands of students and alumni attend this event each year!
When: Ongoing – Sept 2014 to June 2015
Where: McPherson Library (see specific workshop for room)
Contact: - firstname.lastname@example.org - 250-721-8421
Our career educators host four types of workshops for students throughout the week in the McPherson Library:
- Résumé Lab
- Ace Your Interviews
- Network to Work (NEW FOR 2014!)
- Using LinkedIn for Your Work Search
See workshop details and schedule here!
When: September 25, 2014 (9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
Where: Michele Pujol Room - SUB
Categories: External events
Contact: George Colussi - email@example.com - 250-386-2269
Come find out about hundreds of volunteer opportunities from more than 50 non-profit agencies. Gain relevant experience, find your passion and give back to a cause or organization you're passionate about!
For more volunteering info, see Co-op and Career's volunteer resources.
This event is hosted by Volunteer Victoria.
Co-op Student for a Day
When: 10:00, Tuesday, Sep 23, 2014
Where: Enter online now or at Co-op and Career Info Day, Career Fair, or Volunteer Fair
Contact: Samantha Toms - firstname.lastname@example.org - 250-472-5805
Tell us why you want to be a Co-op Student for a Day for your chance to experience first hand what it's like to be a co-op student and to see what co-op has to offer!
- Sample co-op, the employer, and the work environment
- Shadow employees
- Tour the workplace
- Network with team members
- Witness the workplace environment and culture
- Conduct informational interviews with employees and current co-op students
- Learn tips of the workforce
Watch for contest updates on twitter with the hashtag: #coop4aday
See more at: uvic.ca/coopandcareer/coop4aday
Employer information sessions
When: September 2014
Where: See session schedule for description
Contact: Chelsea Falconer - email@example.com
Event details for: Students
Date: Wednesday, September 10
Time: 5:00 pm
Location: ECS 116
Interested in working in engineering consulting with an established consulting firm? Deloitte is currently searching for talented individuals with diverse backgrounds for co-op opportunities in Spring 2015.
Sometimes we work late. But most of the time we have fun. Because what we have is an exciting, rewarding career. We are challenged every day to become the very best we can be. Our people truly set us apart.
We work hand-in-hand with our clients to improve business performance, drive shareholder value, and create competitive advantage. We are committed to providing clients with end-to-end solutions to help position them ahead of the competition. We’re searching for talented individuals with diverse backgrounds that will surpass the expectations of our clients in our Human Capital, Strategy & Operations, and Technology practices across Canada
Please join the Deloitte team for an opportunity to learn more about Deloitte’s Consulting Practice and a chance to meet some of the firm’s leaders and practitioners.
Please note that this is not a CPA recruiting event.
Monday, September 15
Tesla's goal is to produce a full range of electric cars, from sports cars to mass-market vehicles – relentlessly driving down the cost of electric vehicles. Interested? Come find out more about co-op opportunities with Tesla.
This information session will also include a panel of UVIC Engineering students who have completed work terms at Tesla. Want to know how they were successful in applying for jobs and what it's like to work at Tesla? Register for this info session!
Check out Tesla Motors Student Center on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teslamotorsstudentcenter
Engineering and Computer Science/Math Mock Interview Clinic
When: October 1, 2014 (9:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m.)
Contact: Tara Coulter - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students who have expressed interest in the mock interview clinics will be given 24 hours to sign up for one interview slot
- Mock interview job descriptions will be available on Learning in Motion
- Students submit their resume and cover letter to the employer that they selected for the interview
- On October 1st, students complete a 20-minute interview and then receive interview feedback from the employer
- Build awareness of your brand on the UVic campus
- Meet standout students and open a window on future recruitment
- Train your junior staff in interviewing job candidates
- Choose from two timeslot options: half-day morning (9:00-11:30), half-day afternoon (1:00-3:30)
- Each time slot includes a coffee break and lunch is provided (11:30-1:00).
- You’ll receive student applications and review them before the event.
- On event day, you’ll conduct a 30-minute interview and feedback session with each student.
To sign up, please contact your co-op coordinator!
What can you do with your degree?
When: October 2014 and March 2015
Where: See schedule for locations
Categories: What can you do with your degree sessions
Contact: Chelsea Falconer - email@example.com
Wondering how to make the leap from university to a rewarding career? Sign up for a “What can you do with your degree?” session to:
- hear from industry experts about career options in specific industries—and how they broke into their sectors
- learn about the current job market
- get meaningful advice on your career plans
- figure out your next steps after graduation
Online career programs
When: Fall session – Sept to Dec 2014
Contact: - firstname.lastname@example.org - 250-721-8421
Register now for Fall 2014 sessions!
Sign up for one of our tailored career programs to:
- explore career pathways
- plan your next steps
- strengthen your skills for finding career-related work
- build relationships with professional contacts
We offer two programs that are free to UVic students and alumni. These programs are online and self-paced, so you can start anytime.
for students and alumni who are looking for career-related work.
Career panel and mock interview event for Indigenous students
When: October 9, 2014 (11 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
Where: First Peoples House – Ceremonial Hall
Contact: Lalita Morrison - email@example.com
CAREER PANEL AND NETWORKING EVENT: 11 am. – 12:30 p.m.
Curious about career options? Attend this event to:
- learn about career and co-op opportunities available to Indigenous students
- network with company representatives and ask questions
- meet the Indigenous co-op officer and discover resources offered by Co-op and Career
No registration required. There will be an opportunity for mingling after the presentation, so come prepared with your career questions!
BREAK FOR LUNCH: noon – 1:30 p.m.
Employers only. See you back for 1:30 p.m.!
MOCK INTERVIEW CLINIC: 1:30 – 3 p.m.
Practice your interview skills in a realistic setting! Register for a 30-minute interview session, which includes a mock interview for a sample job followed by an employer feedback session.
Registration required: Contact Lalita Morrison – firstname.lastname@example.org | 250-472-4618
When: Saturday, Sept 20, 2014 (noon – 2:30 pm.)
Where: ECS 123
Contact: Tara Coulter - email@example.com
Vic startups talk. Real code. Real technology.
- Register: learninginmotion.uvic.ca
On September 20, five ambitious startups are coming to you. Come join KANO/APPS, Kiind, Pretio Interactive, Sendwithus and TinyMob Games for tech talks in ECS 123!
Just want to meet the software engineers? During the talks, you can chat in the lobby with people who make interesting technologies happen in the real world.
Event details for: STUDENTS
Building a game for every platform—with HTML5
Presenters: Griffin Ledingham & Charlie Bodman
Join us as we discuss the future of HTML5 and what it means for cross-platform game development. Going over topics such as performance, market reach, and rapid deployment.
Practical CryptographyPresenters: Peter Locke (CTO and Co-founder) and Graham Baradoy (Engineering Team Lead)
In this presentation, you'll get a brief introduction to real world cryptography and learn how Kiind uses encryption and digital signatures to both enhance the usefulness of our API keys and also protect our infrastructure from brute force attacks and non-malicious high load.
Visualizing Real-time Data
In this presentation, we'll walk through the technology behind a simple app that hooks into real-time events from Pretio's infrastructure and visualizes them on a map.
20 Minutes to Launch
Watch us take a product from idea to launch in 20 minutes. We will be working with Python, MongoDB, Heroku and more.
Squeezing a Big Game into a Small Device
A case study of how TinyMob managed to squeeze Tiny Realms onto mobile devices while managing both technical debt and tight deadlines. We will go into some of the techniques used to optimize the game and the iterative approach necessary for a small team.
Pathways to Success
When: October 2014 to April 2015
Where: See schedule for locations
Contact: Co-op and Career - firstname.lastname@example.org - (250) 853-3172
Career and professional development for graduate students
What lies beyond graduate school for you? Explore future career paths at these free sessions offered through April 2015.
- Learn how to transition from grad school to a career
- Discover current labour market info for academic and non-academic careers
- Hear from panels and speakers on landing an academic job or carving out a career outside academia
- ... and more!
Cultural Competency Workshop
When: October 7-28, 2014 from 5-7pm. A four-week long session happening Tuesday evenings.
Where: Human and Social Development Building, room A270
Categories: Forums and workshops
Contact: Karima Ramji - email@example.com - 250-721-6076
Using cross-cultural competencies to succeed in your Canadian job search - a workshop for international students!
Are you an international student at UVic? Sign up for this free workshop series to learn about cultural intelligence and how it can help in your job search!
The series will cover:
• UVic’s cross-cultural competencies and why they matter
• How you can describe your cross-cultural competencies to Canadian employers during your job search
• How to plan for successful workplace experiences in Canada
No prerequisites required!
Visit learninginmotion.uvic.ca, find the Events calendar and sign up for the October 7 session. You’ll be automatically registered for the entire series.
Find a jobPost a job