Logos and unit identifiers
Just as a family tree expresses the relationships within a family, brand architecture is a visible manifestation of an organization’s business structure and strategy. To communicate the relationship of the University of Victoria to each of its "family members" a brand architecture has been developed.
This model has been approved by the campus executive and the Strategic Communications Task Force. While efforts have been made to be as inclusive as possible, it is possible not all entities have been included. Please contact
Marketing for assistance with mapping existing and/or new entities.
- Core brand -- The core identity aims to convey the essence of the entire university, in terms of its current position and its future aspirations. Under its umbrella lie many related units and sub-identities.
- Extensions -- Extensions are those components of the university that are deemed to be the most high-profile, such as faculties and research centres. Extensions support the university's ability to deliver its primary product or service.
The extension logo must reflect the faculty, department or program name. It must be an approved unit in UVic's brand architecture. Visit Marketing's brand guidelines page for information on brand architecture.
The unit bar contains the name of the department or unit within a parent site.
- Faculty sites: The faculty name appears to the right of the UVic logo. The unit or department name should go in the unit bar. Departments may not create their own combined logo unless approved by Marketing.
- Core sites: If the site’s name is not a department (for example, Office of Indigenous Affairs), the title should go in the unit bar. In that case there would be no combined logo.
Marketing may approve use of an individual logo for certain units in unique circumstances. For example, the Office of Indigenous Affairs uses a logo created by Charles Elliot. Contact Nick Clewley in Marketing for approval.
- Approved unique logos should be placed above the right hand accordion column.
- Maximum dimensions are 125 pixels X 125 pixels.
UVic brand extension guidelines
See Marketing's brand guidelines page for colours and logos for all faculties.